Thursday, September 11, 2008

New Car or Beefier Wife?



Last weekend Annie and I went racing in Salina in the Wee Little Beastie Honda. It was a very high speed course for autocrossing, upwards of 70 mph, but keep in mind that's with nothing but turns. It was a violent ride and Annie's first time riding/driving the car in several months. I don't want to misquote her but she said something along the lines of, "You scare the s%#t out of me on that ride," which I think is some kind of compliment.

Anyway the Honda has manual steering with a quick ratio gearset, lots of weight over the front wheels because it's front wheel drive, and race tires. That adds up to some substantial steering effort. I have to admit I was a tiny bit sore the next morning, but it went away quickly because I am so gosh darned manly. Annie, on the other hand, had quite a bit of difficulty steering the car on course. She had neither the grip nor upperbody strength to really keep up. We didn't plow into a wall of traffic cones, but we were worried several times. Unfortunately a power steering retrofit isn't really possible with this particular engine in this particular car. It literally won't fit due to the physical size of the engine.

So it's the classic question of whether I should get my wife to lift weights or go car shopping.

If I had a dollar for every time this has come up. Any suggestions, readers? At this point I am leaning towards an e30 generation BMW, one with 4-doors. We were already thinking about piecing one together with the parts of my current rusty 2-door BMW. Here's an artist's rendering.



Okay, really it's the D-Street Prepared class autocross champion's car. It won't be exactly the same but would look somewhat similar. Picture a babyseat in the back Monday thru Saturday.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I don't normally promote this kind of talk, but I vote for car shopping.