Monday, February 25, 2008

Happy Birfday to Me.




I'm 32 today and don't look a minute older than 43.

I've always been the guy who looked older than he was. Is that stress or genetics? I don't know. I used to think it was related to my 1/4 Italian heritage but all of my relatives on that side aged gracefully. I'm the only one that's starting to look like Al Pacino post-Godfather II.

I may look even more grizzled and mean the older I get but I am refusing to let my body get any worse than I am now. It's time to hit the gym and pushback from the table a bit. I was quite an athlete at one time and it's been way, way too long since those days. Hopefully I haven't damaged my joints and back beyond the point of no return. There probably won't be much jogging or powerlifting in my future but I intend to get back on a bicycle and hit the weights and work on flexibility. Having a high school wrestling and Tae Kwon Do background I'm thinking of joining a mixed martial arts gym in Wichita. They have a lot of new equipment and teach boxing fitness and martial arts classes, which should keep me entertained. So far from just moderate dieting (no deserts, no vending machine food, no soda) I've lost 10 lbs at about 2-3 lbs per week. Cranking up my metabolic rate should really get things going. [Note: I did indulge in some birthday cake this weekend and today. Thank you AC + my moms]

Who knows; if things go well I may need a plastic surgeon in another year or so to take care of the extra skin. Maybe I could keep the extra and reupholster a chair or something. How cool would that be?

3 comments:

tangence said...

Happy Birfday. 32 is a good year. By the way, my barber keeps messing up my sideburns too.

Melanie-Pearl said...

Happy Birthday!

I'm not sure if you'd be as funny if you were ultra-skinny. (Like Drew what's-his-name)

What if you'd quit being surly, too?

Kim from Kansas said...

Happy belated! I agree that 32 is a good year, especially if you're a few years older than that and looking back, like me.