Monday, November 19, 2007

Another Citation for Bravery


Yeah, I really did get 2 tickets in 2 weeks, this time in Newton, in an area I almost never speed in because the limit is unusually low and there's generally a lot of traffic.

On this particular occasion traffic was very sparse because it was a weekday evening. I sped up to get around a pickup truck in front of me that was completing the left turn out of Wal-Mart at 5 mph. I get a block down the road and see flashing lights a quarter mile back. Hoping there's an actual crime going on somewhere I slow below the speed limit and hug the right side of the right lane. Unfortunately the police officer pulls up behind me so I signal that I'm going to turn into a residential side street and pull in a few car lengths to give him some room. Yeah, I know, what a nice guy.

I'm informed I was going 50 in a 35 and take my ticket. Officer Friendly hops back in his car and goes WOT (Wide Open Throttle, for you non-gearheads) down the street to catch another Evildoer who had just driven past us and whose traffic crime I didn't see. I'd say the officer was going at least 50 by the time he got to the end of the block. This was right past several driveways and maybe a dozen houses. My vehicular crime occurred next to an open Dillons parking lot so, yeah, I should have made a citizens arrest but decided to call it a night.

A coworker and friend asked if I was angry and cursed or punched the steering wheel. That's a fair question considering that same coworker once saw me nearly decide to break my telephone in half (that's a different story). I'm sure a few of you have seen worse out of me. The simple answer is I knew I was speeding and I can't expect our City's Finest not to issue a citation when they catch me doing it. They're just doing their job and I've never thought it was personal in any way. I was more worried about having to break the news to Annie.

So, now I have to dial it back a notch. I don't think my insurance will be affected much. After all, I'm old (>30), a homeowner, and married AND I drive cheap small cars. Progressive almost pays me. But I've already donated half a set of race tires to the gubbermint and I'd prefer not to make it a full set. Also, once a citizen of this state collects 3 tickets in 12 months they receive a letter informing them that their license will be suspended if a 4th is earned. I believe my count is still at 2 (there was a ticket that I think was struck down 10 months ago--an even longer story) and I'd like to preserve whatever buffer I have left.

But I'm gonna own those entrance and exit ramps in the mean time. And also familiar divided highways.

Paul H: I wanted to respond to your comment on Saturday with "Yeah, but it's even more expensive in Harvey County..." or something along those lines but I hadn't gotten around to telling Annie about ticket #2 just yet. I had to build up courage for a few days.

4 comments:

Kim from Kansas said...

Dude, you really need to move to Wichita.

Anonymous said...

This cop is a real @$&*%$#@!! You are lucking he didn't find anything else wrong...

Carrie

teason said...

waiting for a medal (or jail cell) of honor...

Dr Humboldt said...

What's your blood pressure? I'm a little concerned with the rants and the talk of breaking things that you may keel over before your time. You may want to check in some where and see if you have IED (Intermittent Explosive Disorder) and then get your self some much needed help. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy your blog but am a little concerned about your health, that's all.